'cause I'm not really anonymous anymore, if ever, since all my posts have "posted by Stephen."

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Another "Ah Ha!" Moment

I was listening to Dr. Blue on Star94 on my way home from work yesterday. He's a relationship psychologist that comes on every Wednesday--for those of you who don't know. I try to catch it if I remember, but most of the time it is just the same "type" of question, just a different caller. His advice seems to be very general, and he usually tells the caller what they have already said or already know.

Well, just as I was thinking, "does anyone *really* get any resolution after they've called into the show?", he said something that hit me like a ton of bricks. The caller was asking about how to get over a relationship...blah blah blah. He said:

"It's hard, (callers name). You invested so much energy into the relationship and now it's over. You invested time, your emotions, etc. The more you invest in the relationship, the harder it is to get over it and move on."

I know that this seems to be a simple, obvious explanation when it comes to getting over a relationship, but it's never been *said* to me or put in those terms. This simple statement made me think about JG, my ex, for the rest of my ride home. He broke up with me about two and a half years ago. I am over him, but it took me a long time. We went out for over a year (one year, one month, one day to be exact...) and it is the only relationship that I've been in that I would consider "serious." He was the first person that I truly loved, blah blah blah... Looking back on it, I DID invest way too much into the relationship! I paid for everything, I was the one driving back to Athens every couple of days after I graduated to see HIM, I was the one that made the sacrifices (albeit, I *wanted* to), I didn't care that he was too busy to come to my college graduation or that he didn't get me birthday or anniversary gifts...all because I loved him. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I know that I'm better off without him.

I thought that there was something wrong with me because it *was* taking me so long to get over him. Isn't it funny how ONE statement can put everything into perspective?

I've been having a bunch of "ah ha!" moments lately...

No comments: