'cause I'm not really anonymous anymore, if ever, since all my posts have "posted by Stephen."

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Riled up!

One of my co-workers has gotten me riled up this morning. A (one out of 2 girls in our individual office) came in and told us about her morning. Her parents are up helping them out with their baby because her daycare provider's house was struck by lightening and caught on fire on Tuesday (yup, she was on the news if you saw it). Anyway, A walked downstairs on her way to work and bent down and to pet her dog.

A's mom: "Oh honey, you shouldn't bend down like that. That is NOT pretty. You need to get your weight under control."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind you, she isn't tiny, but in no way, shape, or form would I ever think that about her! For one thing, she had a baby back in September. Second thing, this is coming from her mom! Third thing, who says that to someone that they care about and love?!?!?!?!

They go on about this issue for 45 minutes. Her mom continues to tell her that she is obese, definitely looks her size, and brings up Jesus. Yes, Jesus!!!

A's mom: "It's like Jesus Christ. You never know when someone will find Jesus Christ. You never know what you will say that will make that person turn to Jesus Christ. A, I am just hoping that I can say that one thing that will make you lose weight!"

How are you gonna make an analogy about losing weight and Jesus Christ?!?!?!?! A didn't seem too phased by this whole conversation. She said that she just slammed the door and left after she had had enough. Apparently, this is just the way her mom is, and that she was just probably trying to give her some constructive criticism. NOT OK! I am honestly getting mad FOR her! Does her mom want her to have an eating disorder? This is what I would have said after the whole Jesus Christ analogy:

"You never know what you will say that will make someone become anorexic!"

I am mad about this!!! There are only a few buttons that you can push with me that get me riled up. Her mom pushed 2 of them! Being rude/mean/hateful/cruel for NO reason AND anything about weight. There is NO reason to be intentionally mean to ANYONE! Also, you never know why someone is overweight or what caused it or if they really ARE trying to lose weight, etc. I had a friend that gained weight because of a serious illness. I am not saying that I haven't made a joke or comment about an overweight person, but I honestly try not to.

One, this is her MOM!
Second, this is just RUDE coming from ANYONE!
Third, this is NOT constructive!

The more I think about it, the more I get mad about it...

No comments: