'cause I'm not really anonymous anymore, if ever, since all my posts have "posted by Stephen."

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Routine, or the lack thereof

Like I’ve said many times before, I’m a creature of habit. I’m not *rigid* about it, just merely routine really. For example, when I workout, I usually try to put my things in the same locker. This is for a couple of reasons. One, so that it is as “thoughtless” as possible and I don’t have to “think” about where my stuff is. Secondly, I just go to that locker without even thinking about it. Having said all this, I haven’t been as “routine” with my training. Sometimes I’ll go in the morning one day, at lunch the next, after work another, or a mixture of the following. Well, yesterday, I went after work. I normally put my stuff on the bottom set of lockers—this time it was the top. I normally put them on the right side of the U-shaped isle—this time it was on the left. So, it was just all backwards for me. I finish my workout and go to my locker to get my stuff and leave. I had just gotten back from the pool, so I was wet and in my shorts-style speedos. I went to my locker and twisted the knob with my combo…nothing. Sometimes you have to do my lock twice, so I just did it again. Nothing. I tried to open this lock 4 more times before I realized that this wasn’t my locker! I proceed to where my locker is…did the combo once…it opened. DOH!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

LOL - I use the same locker every time too. Yesterday someone else was in it and I thought "Who's using my locker?" So I used the one opposite it and then felt off the rest of the morning. :)

So this makes me wonder...Do people who aren't "creatures of habit" like doing triathlons? Or do you have to have this type of personality to enjoy it? Or is it just that this type of personality helps with training and being consistent so we stick with it more than the random types? Hmmm...

Stephen said...

You know, I have to think you have a point here. You have to bike (which is the same action, just different scenery maybe), run (same as bike), and swim (lap after lap after lap). We have to do these 3 things over and over and over to get better, right? I have serveral friends who don't like running cause it's "boring". Hrmmm...good point, Lisa. Watching Ironman's on tv, you realize that there are people of all types that do it, so I think us "creatures of habit" just have a one up on the process of training--and enjoying it.

Lisa said...

By the way...I picture you as a tallish Bobby...Now it's a tallish Bobby w/ speedos! Kinda a weird visual. :)

Stephen said...

HAHAHA