'cause I'm not really anonymous anymore, if ever, since all my posts have "posted by Stephen."

Sunday, August 21, 2005

A Good Deed

As most of y'all already know, I had some trouble with my mail. Long story short--I was given the wrong mailbox keys when I finished with my closing. I didn't discover this little oversight until after about a month of living here. Anyway, I have just now gone through all of the junk mail when I came across your standard "movers envelope." Inside, it was mostly junk...except for the valuable Kroger coupons. On this folded over "lottery ticket" were 3 "$5.00 off of a $35 or more purchase" and a free carton of eggs. Woohoo! Jackpot! I go to Kroger every Sunday to do my weekly shopping, and I always drop about $50 no matter what I buy--odd, I know, but it always ends up this way... So, knowing my shopping habits, I knew that one of these coupons would expire before I could use it (expires Aug. 31, 2005)--BUMMER!

Anyway, I go to the store today to do my weekly shopping. I get to the checkout line and the ringer finished ringing all my stuff up--yup, right around $50! So, as I'm putting the 2 other coupons in my wallet, I decided to do a nice deed. I turn to the young lady behind me and ask, "Would you like this coupon? It'll just go to waste otherwise..." The look of utter surprise and genuine thankfulness was worth it right there. It was only $5 off, but the gesture means more than the actual face value. We chatted for a bit...me saying she looked like she had more than $35 there and her agreeing, the hot as Hates weather, and some more small talk before I left and she thanked me again.

Isn't it sad that a nice gesture is so lost in today's society? Well, I did my part:) Karma, right? It feels good to make a total stranger smile...

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Maybe it's because we've become jaded and we just don't expect people to be nice anymore. It WAS good karma for you. :) But just think...you probably made her day and in turn, she was probably nicer to a stranger later that day. And that person did something nice, and so on and so on. Who knows what kind of "nice" ripple you started. :)

Stephen said...

If only everyone would just do this, right? Just imagine what kind of world we *could* live in...