'cause I'm not really anonymous anymore, if ever, since all my posts have "posted by Stephen."

Friday, July 08, 2005

Conspiracy Theory?

I have to preface this post with the fact that I tend to have a bit of a heavy foot. This being said, I have a radar detector just to cover my bases--LOL.

On my drive to the gym this morning, I looked down at my speedometer and started thinking (I wasn't speeding, btw--hehe). My particular speedometer goes up to 160 mph. Why would car manufacturers even put such a high speed capability on a car when 96% percent of all US speed limit signs are 70 or under? I put 96%, because there are some places that don't have a speed limit, I think...right? Like Montana or something? Anyway, I digress... Are car manufacturers and policemen teaming together to bully more money out of heavy-footed citizens like myself? Did a police officer schedule a meeting with the CEO of a car manufacturer and ask them to raise the speed capability of cars so that they could stop more speeder, and thus get more money from speeding tickets? I don't think this is too far fetched...but I'll let you ponder this...

1 comment:

Chris said...

Excellent observation, Stephen. Another funny thing is that car spedometers may display numbers up to 160 or so, but the engines are electronically limited to somewhere in the 120 range. We should investigate police precinct accounting books to see if there are any kickbacks being fed back to car manufacturers.