'cause I'm not really anonymous anymore, if ever, since all my posts have "posted by Stephen."

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

You thought you knew...but you don't.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14364833/

I don't get it. How are you gonna just up and change the definition of a word that has been set since the beginning of science? Is there gonna be a new generation that can now say, "I remember when there were only 9 planets..." I mean, what's gonna happen to the riddle that helped all of us remember the order of the 9 planets?

My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pies.
(Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto)

Are we going to have to learn a new riddle when our kids come home and have to learn the order to 100+ planets? You laugh at the possibility of 100+ planets, but according to the article, there are already 53 planets if you go by this new definition. I'm not one that is opposed to change, but come on. How can you change something that has always been known? "How many planets are there in the solar system? 9." You didn't have to think about it. You didn't sit there and argue the definition of a planet. "Well, if you use gravity or nature as a deciding factor, then there are 9 planets vs #(&$&$(&#$# planets."

If we start to question and change the fundamental things that have always been known, then where does it stop? I understand that one has to question and learn new things in order to grow, but when is too much too much?

No comments: