'cause I'm not really anonymous anymore, if ever, since all my posts have "posted by Stephen."

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Is a smile just a smile?

Once you graduate from college, the dating pool somehow seems to instantaneously get smaller. Heck, *a* dating pool of like minded people seems to become hard to even locate! You are no longer smack dab in the middle of 36,000+ people within your age bracket (yes, I went to a huge university--UGA--and I freakin' loved it! GO DAWGS! Sic 'em! Woof! Woof! Woof!...sorry for that minor detour...) You start living in the "real world," and that soon becomes monotonous. Get up, work, gym, eat, watch tv, sleep. Repeat. Maybe hangout with friends during the week, but usually not.

So, then the question starts to rear it's ugly head: Where do you meet new people? The common answers: work, gym, bars/clubs, join a group, through friends, etc.

I see a major fallacy in one of the said answers...the gym. I don't know about you, but I've been going to the gym regularly for many years now (some call me a freak, but let's not go into that right now...) and I have never been able to read people at the gym. Being gay might be a part of it, but to me, it's a very ambiguous playing field.

You look up to see a guy looking at you. He smiles. Do you smile back? Is he looking *at* you? Is the smile just a smile? Does he just want the bench that you're at? Is he even gay?

Is my gaydar just *that* defunct? "Yes, I would like to get a tune-up. My gaydar seems to be malfunctioning."

Whether you are gay or straight, the gym is a seemingly prime location to meet people, right? They are obviously in shape, or trying to get in shape. Most of the guys that are there are usually cute and buff. Let's face it, it's a hot bed of eye candy. Period.

Maybe I'll get up the nerve to actually say hey to someone who smiles at me at the gym? Pigs can fly, right?

No comments: