'cause I'm not really anonymous anymore, if ever, since all my posts have "posted by Stephen."

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

3 Strikes for Bottled Water

A while back, I had heard an “expert” on the radio who claimed that bottled water was making people sick. He went on to explain that there are “good bacteria” in tap water that helps your body fight off common sicknesses. Strike #1 for bottled water, but I didn’t take too much heed in this.

Well…yesterday, a co-worker sent this link around: http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/DentalHealth/tb/1756

It basically says that bottle water is contributing to a rise in cavities because it lacks the fluoride that tap water naturally has. Strike #2 for bottled water.

Bottle water costs money and tap water doesn’t. Strike #3.

3 strikes and you’re out, folks. I usually walk over to the other side of our office to get filtered water, but no more. From now on, it’s the water fountain for me. Plus, I figure that people got along just fine without filtered or bottled water since the beginning of time, so why change it if it ain’t broke?

9 comments:

Chris said...

I originally thought about posting some ridiculous comment here about how wiping your ass with toilet paper gave you a 62% greater chance of getting colon cancer than wiping your ass with leaves from your backyard, but I figured that might be taking things a little over the edge. I'll keep things simple and say that I disagree with your opinions on this post.

Why do I disagree? Click on the link below and the scroll down to the "Impairments" section.

Drinking Water Conditions of North Georgia

Stephen said...

Chris--intersting link. However, even though these results came back with 70% testing positive for fecal matter (ewwww), it's not relevant. The water that you drink out of a water fountain or your kitchen sink goes through a process that has to pass regulations. It's not the same as filling up a glass of the Chatahoochee and chugging it. I still stand by what I posted--bottled water is a recent trend...people have been drinking unbottled and unfiltered water since the beginning of time.

Chris said...

I refuse to take a crap in my toilet, collect the water, sift out the crap, send the remaining water through some purification processes, then gulp it down. I just don't see it happening for me. But hey, if you like to drink crap, more power to ya.

Stephen said...

BUT...in essence, that is what you are doing when you are drinking bottled/purified water. Just because you don't see someone taking a crap in it doesn't mean it didn't happen. You know that commercial: hikers in the mountains drinking from a creek with the "purest" water on earth. Then it faded to a guy peeing in the creek upstream. Hey, it happens...

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris said...

I can live with pee. In the book "Why do men have nipples?", the authors explain that if given the option of having someone pee in your mouth or spit in your mouth, it is technically safer (from a health standpoint) to drink pee. It is completely sterile and outside of the odor, there is nothing in it that will cause you and bodily harm or sickness.

Further along in the book, the authors answer a question regarding the ingestion of "poo". They said that this is deadly and shouldn't be done under any circumstances.

So pee all you want, I don't care. And on a more personal note, for all you people that freak out about people like myself peeing in swimming pools just remember that swallowing plain chlorinated water can make you just a sick as swallowing the water with my pee in it.

Stephen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris said...

What can I say, I dig the golden shower.

And for those of you who are clueless, I deleted my post where I apparently said that you should eat poo and replaeced it with shouldn't

Stephen said...

Dude, you drink pee? EWWWWWWW