'cause I'm not really anonymous anymore, if ever, since all my posts have "posted by Stephen."

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Questions

Being bored at work, my mind wandering, thinking about pointless things...I got to thinkin...some of the questions that people ask are really not questions at all. For example:

"Hi, this is ______, can you hold?" What would they say if you said "no"? They are expecting you to say "yes." The next time you're asked this, say "no" and see what happens.

"How are you?" When this is asked, it is usually assumed that the other person will say "good," then both of y'all will go about your separate ways. There are those occasions when someone will say "sleepy" or "tired" or the like, but I would go so far as to say that the "good" response is expected 95%+ of the time. Most people just ask this in passing as a "filler"...they don't want all the details...just say "good" so I can go about my day. Thanks.

Hrmmm...when I thinking about this, I thought there were more...not as good of a post as I thought...

2 comments:

Chris said...

Don't be so hard on yourself...I've started writing many posts thinking they would be great, then realized I ran out of ideas half way through. I've never actually hit the "post" button on those, though. jk.

I do hate the obligatory "How's it going?", though. The worst is when someone throws in a small curveball and says "What's new?". My mouth is automatically trained to say "good" when I hear the half hearted question, so I typically respond with the same to the latter question and look like a fool.

Stephen said...

HA! I do that all the time! "What's up?" "Good" It's autopilot, man...