'cause I'm not really anonymous anymore, if ever, since all my posts have "posted by Stephen."

Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Nature of the Beast?

I think that drama and gay men go hand in hand - not always, mind you, but most of the time. For example, my boss is a self-proclaimed "drama-free" gay man, but I think that he's too deep in his own drama to realize how false his self perception really is. He just broke up with this guy that he wasn't even sure if he really liked and connected with. He wasn't really his type, didn't have the same interests, etc., but for some reason he was dating this guy to see where it would go. To me, this is just odd 'cause they met via Connexions, the guy is very "average" - my bosses words, the guy didn't lie on his profile about himself, so why try to date a total stranger when there is no existing vested interest? Well, the guy is new to Atlanta and has plainly stated that he doesn't like it here and wants to move back to Florida when the year is up from his job relocation. Fair enough, right? Who knows what will happen between now and 9 months, right? Well, my boss just takes this a bit far and tells the guy that he doesn't think they should see each other anymore and tells him to not contact him...at all. A bit harsh, I thought. I mean, they had gone to get HIV tests and all that jazz just last week. Obviously, the guy wasn't just in it for the sex...cause there had been no actual "sex"! And even as my boss is filling me in on the developments of this relationship, he is sooo dramatic about it.

Also, he is sooo paranoid if people know that he's gay. Um, dude, they know that you're gay when you speak. He doesn't know if his little brother from his fraternity knows that he's gay. Um, college was over 7 years ago, get a grip! He's also been avioding this straight couple at the gym because he's upset they know he's gay. When he signed them up, he loved this couple...wanted to go to church with them and all. Now, they always ask where he is cause he's avoiding them. Drama!

So, there in lies my topic. Can you be a gay man and be drama-free? I know you can't be t-totally drama-free 'cause life happens, but can you have minimal drama in your life? I honestly think that most gay men just can't live without it. For them, drama comes with the package deal. "Um, yes...I'd like to place an order for a cute guy, nice smile, not into drugs...oh, and just go on and add some drama on the side." That's a side dish I can live without.

No comments: