'cause I'm not really anonymous anymore, if ever, since all my posts have "posted by Stephen."

Sunday, June 22, 2008

1 Year Anniversary

I've been sorta down lately. Yeah, Debbie-Downer, I know. I'm just now getting over the staph infection. And then, as I'm finally able to walk, sit, bike, and run normally, I get another blow. On Friday, I hurt my back while I was working out. It was stupid, really. As I was hooking my leg to the decline bench, I didn't catch it all the way and hit the floor flat on my back with 2 - 45lb dumbbells in tow. My boss just busted out laughing, not realizing that I really hurt myself. So, I think I have a pinched nerve in my lower back. I'm limping again, I make old man noises, I hold my lower back when I bend down...and to make it worse, I can't run because it "pinches" it when I do. Bummer.

Then, when I was about to leave work, I noticed that I had a flat on my bike. Double bummer.

Plus, today marks the 1 year anniversary of my downward spiral in life. This time last year, I was ambivalent to the fact that my life would totally change within the next 8-10 hours. As much as I would like to forget about this past year, I can't. To forget would be to skip an important chapter in a really good book. I look back on this past year and can't help but to feel deep regret. I hate regret. It's a selfish emotion that keeps on taking. The only thing that punches regret in the face is the fact that I know everything happens for a reason. All of our experiences make up who we are. For me, these aren't just trite sayings. I whole-heartedly believe that everything happens for a reason. Sometimes we don't like the reason, but that is a whole different issue all together.

So, on a brighter note...I'm on my way. On my way to a new me. As cheesy as that sounds, it's true. I know where I'm never going to go again, I can only move up from here, right? Right.

3 comments:

Justin said...

Back pain is a mother. Especially a pinched nerve. Been there, done that. Get thine arse to a doctor.

Brad said...

Actually, that was me. I was on the J's computer.

Stephen said...

Yeah, I know I need to go to the dr.... I think I'm gonna wait it out a coupla more days, tho.