'cause I'm not really anonymous anymore, if ever, since all my posts have "posted by Stephen."

Friday, July 25, 2008

What is "normal"???

I finally got a day off yesterday! I hadn't had one single day off since the 4th, so it was much needed. As I layed in bed awake at 7am, I was toggling with what to do for the day. Do I get up and get some stuff done or do I just roll over and lay in bed and relax some more? I didn't do either, I compromised. I layed in bed til around 9 and then got up and started the day. I needed to get a new shirt for Saturday night, so I decided to hop on MARTA and go shopping. I have a date with one of my lesbian friends, so I needed something new.

While on MARTA, I sat across from 3 little black kids - what they were doing on the train by themselves is beyond me, but. The older boy and girl looked to be around 6 or 7 and the youngest boy was about 4. As I watched the youngest boy give kisses and play with his sister, it just hit me: I'm never going to have that. I'm never going to have that "normal" life. I'm not saying that I want a kid right now or anything, but the option is not really there for me. I can't just happen to get drunk one night, have sex with a girl, and "make" a baby - one case scenario, mind you. I've always "known" that my life is and always would be different, but I don't know what made that point crystal clear yesterday.

As my these thoughts bounced around in my head, I then came to the conclusion: Why do I want to be "normal?" Maybe I AM normal...for me. My normal is very ABnormal for someone like my sister, but it's very normal for me. Normalcy is highly over-rated.

On another note, I did get a shirt. 2 shirts in fact...and 2 pairs of jeans...ahem. I'm not like most gay men...I mean, I like my name brand clothing just as much as the next gay, but I'm not that high maintenance all the time. After going to the mall and finding nothing, I decided to pop into Target. I love their jeans and they just happened to have my size, so I bought a couple. Plus, I got 2 polos that are really cool. Gotta love Target:)

3 comments:

Irene said...

i clicked on this by accident but im glad i did! cool blog!

Jen said...

Target Rocks. Normalcy is indeed overrated.

Stephen said...

Thanks, Irene and Jen!